Frequently asked questions
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Reach out to our customer support team.
Here is the FAQ for Breeders.
- What is Dog World?
- Dog World is a platform where you can learn which dog breed is best for you and your family, and then reserve your future puppy with the confidence that it will come from a reputable breeder with AKC approval, health certificates, and temperment information.
- What was the motivation behind Dog World?
- When we set out to get our puppy, we really under estimated just how difficult the entire process would be. Most breeders in our area either didn't have puppies available for many months, or were not planning any new litters. We started looking for puppies from out of state. SBut since we weren't able to go see the puppies in person we got approached by a number of scammers, and even communication with the breeders who seemed reputable was not easy... it was difficult to know whether the puppy would arrive safely, and with all the health checks we were looking for.
- Where your puppies from?
- At Dog World we work hard to make partnerships with a few select breeders for each breed. We usually partner with 2 - 4 breeders (depending on popularity of breed) for each breed only after we have done research and consulted a breed expert on each.
- What makes your breeders so reputable?
- Breeders need both experience and love for their dogs, as if they are part of their family. There are "puppy mills" where the breeders are experienced in marketing, and getting their dogs out to many new owners each week. But they do not have individual care and love for each puppy, so it is very likely that a dog from a puppy mill can have a serious health condition. On the other hand, there are dog owners who will have puppies, and provide plenty of love and care for them, but lack experience- which could mean the dogs may not be AKC approved, may not have the right "pairing" of father and mother, and can also have unknown health conditions.
Our breeders are selected based on both experience and love. Typically they are medium sized breeders (4 - 8 dogs) who have about two litters each year, and have been breeding for at least 5 years, and only breed one breed of dog. Another important factor that we look for in our breeders is that they have good conditions for their dogs- plenty of room for exercise and mental stimulation.
Because we do not charge our breeders anything to be on Dog World, typically we have much more demand for breeders on our platform than we can maintain, so we only select the top 3 - 5 for each breed to partner with.
- What is the benefit of getting a puppy through DogWorld instead of directly through a breeder?
- It is oftentimes difficult to know which breeders are reputable The last factor is that Dog World breeders
- What is the benefit of getting a puppy through DogWorld instead of adopting?
- We recommend looking to adopt as a first option! Our mission is to connect families to the right dog for them, so that there is a good fit so that surrendering dogs to kennels becomes something of the past. More often than not, dogs who are in kennels are there from no fault of their own, and can be an excellent fit for you.
With that said, of course adopting comes with a different set of considerations that should come into account. That dog has a history that is difficult to fully understand the extent of. Just like humans, if that history includes abuse, it can have traumatic effects on the dog that can occasionally come out. It's important to consult with the shelter to understand the dog as much as possible, consider the breed, and spend some time interacting with that dog, and seeing how they are with any family members or other pets. The big benefit of getting a puppy is that you can train them and allow them to grow up in a healthy environment. The benefit of an adult dog is that they may already be trained, more calm, and you can be potentially taking on a dog who may not have had other options, which can form an extra strong bond.
Dog World is a good option for anyone looking for a pure bred puppy, or if it is important for you to receive health and temperment information beforehand.
- What do I get when I pay the reservation fee?
- As soon as you pay your reservation fee you reserve your spot in line for your new puppy. This can give you priority ahead of others in selecting your puppy, but more importantly, ensures you have a spot in the upcoming litter. Furthermore, your reservation will give you access to AKC certifications, health certificates, and temperment info.